In a time when we must remain distant, Reimagine continues to reach out and connect with clients through virtual classes. When quarantine orders went into effect, we moved fast to make sure we stayed in contact with our family of clients. In fact, we were one of the first nonprofits serving people with disabilities to offer virtual programming—continuing to deliver services and provide much-needed connection during stay-at-home orders. Literally in a matter of days, our team flipped to virtual programming to serve clients of all ages and a range of disabilities.
This vulnerable population continues to face the devastating impact of this pandemic. While in-person support services are limited, it’s important to provide virtual programming that extends our services and fortifies those who count on these important connections to thrive. Clients who log into Reimagine’s virtual campus can take classes and socialize with peers several days per week from home.
Although there is public awareness of some of the challenges imposed by the pandemic on individuals with disabilities, the totality of the impact on a family or a person with such disabilities can go unrecognized. Here are some benefits offered through our virtual programming:
- Reduced Isolation: Without virtual programming, many clients say they would feel even more isolated that they already do.
- Safer at Home: Learning and socializing from home allows them to avoid public transportation, as people with disabilities are at a greater risk of serious complications and dying from COVID-19.
- Socialization: Virtual programming allows clients to interact with instructors and friends while they are isolated at home and learning important social development skills.
- Keeping up with Routines: A daily routine can provide knowable structure, a sense of control and consistency, especially as people’s daily lives have been disrupted during the pandemic.
- Avoiding developmental and therapeutic regression: Virtual programming allows clients to avoid significant regression and learning loss during COVID-19.
Our virtual programming is keeping many Reimagine clients safe, while adding purpose to their days. We offer a variety of classes that provide a wide range of options tailored to different needs. Some our virtual classes include:
- Music and sing-a-longs
- Brain games
- Health and wellness
- Science experiments
- Coping skills
- Arts and crafts
- Early intervention programs (12 months to 36 months)
It’s clear that for many clients, physical distance doesn’t keep them from learning, interacting and having fun. Virtual programming has opened doors for them to reach out and awaken possibilities in their minds and bodies. With so much disruption and uncertainty in their lives, we’re happy our virtual programming gives clients a combination of structure, joy and escape, one class at a time.